Below are samples of the scores you will be able to download.
Advanced Version, Standard Notation.
Advanced Version, Standard Notation Plus Tab.
Easier Version, Standard Notation.
Easier Version, Standard Notation Plus Tab.
- Brian Wilson wrote the song in 45 minutes with Tony Asher, an advertising copyrighter and lyricist.
- Released in 1966, God Only Knows is considered a Beach Boys classic, but was released as a B-side, partly because of fear that radio stations would refuse to play a song with "God" in the title.
- The song reflects Wilson's interest in spirituality, and was a big departure from previous Beach Boys songs that dealt with girls, cars, and surfing.
- Lyricist Asher felt they were taking some real chances with the song, not just because "God" was in the title, but also because "it opens by saying, 'I may not always love you,' which is a very unusual way to start a love song."
- In the version recorded by the Beach Boys, a percussionist plays an almost continuous rhythm on two empty jugs of orange juice. At measure #39 Doug imitates the sound with tongue clucks.